Friday, January 1, 2010

Back From The War.

Unpublished Works, © 1992, BillyPauleyJr.*

Back From The War.

Back from the war, I most welcomely find,
As I'm resting in bed, a hand touches mine,
I open my eyes, it is so good to see,
My wife and my children smiling at me,
They're happy to see me finally home,
We're all tired of worrying each night alone,

I seem to be so very much more aware,
Of things I had previously not known were there,
From the softness of the pillow to the silk of the sheets,
From the strength of my wife to the children so sweet,
I've missed them all dearly and every day,
In the desert I would kneel in the sand and I'd pray,

For all of us fighting could easily see,
How much that it means for a world to be free,
And it must've been hours I stood on the rug,
With my wife and our children all locked in a hug,
We spent the whole day doing things to remember,
And all I recall is we did them together,

It was great to be back with my family again,
And then must've been when it started to rain,
And the rain it was heavy as it fell on my face,
And I slowly recalled its warm, salty taste,
Then the smell of the mothballs from the canvas arose,
I could feel the sand from my head to my toes,

I knew it was to my sad, sad surprise,
That I had not really been with my kids and my wife,
I was not waking up in a comfortable bed,
I had fallen asleep with a dream in my head,
I awoke propped up slightly on the back of a tent,
I remembered going out and why I had went,

I went out to meet with God and to pray,
And was given a moment, in His Almighty way,
To be with my family, to hold them again,
And then I felt foolish on my knees in the rain,
Until many days later on a sand dune unknown,
The postmaster bro't me a letter from home,

And my wife told a story so familiar to me,
She said I must tell you of a wonderful dream,
She said I went out one night on the lawn,
And I prayed and I cried until it was dawn,
And I dreamed of you and the children and me,
It was beautiful and still, I know now a dream,

But it seemed to me real and I believe it was God,
Who bro't us together in the wink of a nod,
To tell us that all is not lost in this war,
But to show us what it is we are fighting for,
Does this sound silly to you, it doesn't to me,
And of course it did not, as I fell to my knees.

- WillyToad*

… this is a Smokey the Toad™ production.

1 comment:


Announcing...

Denny's Night? by DonnaDrake*

Release date: 09-02-09; currently unavailable.



Collections of WillyToad*

Release date: 11-10-09; currently unavailable.



101 of the Best Signatures of WillyToad*

Release date: 12-02-09; currently unavailable.



MO-23; Mile 13. by Drake*

Release date: 12-09-09; The New Flesh

http://newfleshmagazine.blogspot.com/



The Family Tree

(And Other Wild Life). by DonnaDrake*

Release date: 03-10-10; delayed, new pub-date soon.



The Houston Years of WillyToad*

Release date: 04-06-10; currently unavailable.



What's Left of WillyToad*

Release date: 05-04-10; currently unavailable.



Fearless Wings

(the sequel to Denny's Night?). by DonnaDrake*

Release date: 06-01-10; delayed: 06-01-11.



Working Class H3r0

(Works for John Ono Lennon). by WillyToad*

Release date: 10-10-10; currently unavailable.




Duty Calls (WillyToad Cares); Thank You Pennsylvania! by WillyToad*

Release date: 09-11-2011.